Class average was 73%, half the class failed the exam. Failed. It wasn't me though but I only got an 80%.
I have PTSD but I don't make excuses about it but I will openly talk to people about living with it. Nightmares, night sweats, weird dreams when you don't have nightmares, recurring images of what started my PTSD, anger, rage, loneliness, sadness, weariness, depression, anxiety, panic attacks and a list of other abnormalities fight with me to take over my life. I guess having PTSD is like a functioning alcoholic, you learn to deal and be "normal". Most people that meet me and get to know me don't believe that I have PTSD, "Wow, you seem so pulled together...." or "geez but you're so normal and you were never in Iraq...".
No I was not in Iraq, but I was raped, had my life on the line as an EMT and my daughter nearly died having her face ripped off my a brutal dog. Not to mention an abusive ex who is now deceased but can no longer hurt anyone. He was physically and mentally abusive to me and my kids. That's another story...
My PTSD developed suddenly after July 12th of 2010. My 6 year old daughter was playing a few houses down the street with her friend. Out of nowhere the neighbor's pit bull came to her friend's yard and attacked my daughter's face on her driveway. My daughter nearly lost her right eye, had her orbital bone exposed, her mandible and teeth exposed, her upper lip and right nostril ripped off. She looked like she had been shot with a shotgun.
With a trail of blood being created with every step she took back home, her father and I were in complete awe and disbelief. What has happened to our daughter? Why her face? Why not her arm or leg but her precious little face? She has the face of an angel still....looking beyond her scars.
I will write more about what happened to my daughter as time goes on. I can only replay small bits of what happened on that dreadful day in my head. It's been over a year and I still can not come to terms with what happened to her and our family.
I can tell you this though. The reason I am back in nursing school is because of the thoughtful, intelligent, caring, giving, humorous and amazing nurses my daughter had during her hospital stays from her accident. It is their light and giving that lit a spark in me to finish a job I had started 10 years ago...nursing school. Well here I am and I've never been more ready to get the job done this time. No more nasty exes to make me quit or move away form my schools. My husband now is so caring and supportive and wants to see me do well. I am very lucky in so many ways and can't even count them all.
So yes, I got an 80%, I'm still in shock. I have a 4.0 in college right now and I don't want to mess that up and I want to be an excellent nurse one day soon. I know which questions I missed on the exam and I'm not too mad at myself for it either. I went back and changed 3 or 4 of my answers which cost me an A. I will get it with my exam next week. I have 8 days to study, read, study some more and take practice NCLEX style tests.
I'd say considering the class average, it sounds more like the test than you. You should be proud of that 80! I was definitely the type of nursing student who stressed about not getting an A, but ultimately if you maintain that level of work, you'll still pass and be a great RN, GPA be damned. Just wanted to say I found you through my blogger stats and I'm in awe of how much you've overcome.
ReplyDelete