Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Suggestions for Studying

Here are some suggestions I have for studying:
1) Music, gotta have some grooves to drain out background noises around you and your neighborhood (for me it's a giant black dog that never shuts the eff up)
2) Something to drink, so you're not getting up every few minutes acting like you're hungry when you're not.
3) Good lighting. Helps me concentrate when I can read better, I prefer natural light from my window.
4) Read ahead in your book, do not get behind, stay up with the class, once behind it's very hard to get ahead again.
5) Don't highlight everything in your book, you will make it look like a rainbow. That's unnecessary. Highlight a few key phrases or words to make flashcards from later.
6) Make flashcards. They are easier to tote around than your book and give you a way to memorize key terms, formulas (for med calculations), procedures and steps.
7) My professors give us packets of power points. I make my own notes from those adding onto whatever vagueness they had included in the packet. These notes are vital.
8) Take notes in class, but only key things, not everything that was said, that's why you should record with a digital recorder your lectures.
9) Find a bit of quiet time to listen to your lectures if you feel like you didn't get everything you needed out of class. Ask yourself, does this all make sense? Do my notes seem adequate? Did I understand what the teacher was conveying to me?
10) Read. Yes I know I said reading before but stay ahead of the class by reading.
11) Do the practice tests from the disc that came with your book or on-line via the book website. They are usually NCLEX-style questions and will help you stay ahead of the game.

Nursing school is a full time job but make sure you have time for yourself, your family and friends. Be organized and use your time wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment