Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Trauma 1"

One of my friends I carpool with knows a 2nd year nursing student very well and she has warned us about specific students we may encounter. Much of my class is made up of students that failed their first semester of their first year so our friend I will call "x" knows all of these particular students. There is one she specifically warned us about.

 "Trauma 1". She is the type that will contradict what the instructor says. For example, the instructor will say, "to auscultate lung sounds you listen to all 5 lobes through the back, 2 on the left side and 3 on the right side making sure to listen to the middle lobe under the pt's axillae..." "Trauma 1" will blurt out, "that's not how we do it at my hospital, when I'm working trauma we do it differently, we take breath sounds from the front and never under the axillae...." She's one of those, blurts out random haphazard bits of advice to us.

Last night the instructor was talking to us about our clinicals coming up this weekend and giving us an orientation about it. Some students were asking questions to another teacher that was in there, so naturally the classroom got kind of loud. (Now we are squished like sardines in our classroom, it barely holds all 40 of us and we're lined up at tables together, 2 to a table. It can get loud in there pretty quick.)

Out of nowhere "trauma 1" starts yelling at the class "Shut up, no one can hear whats being asked and we're all going to ask the same questions. Can we please just shut up, I can't hear her and you guys keep talking, shut up, be quiet so I can hear. Can we please show some respect for eachother and shut up?"

As the class stops chattering and stares at her in awe I almost giggle out loud. Here is "trauma 1" calling the kettle black. She was one of the people having a side conversation.

We all have a few of these "trauma 1's" in our classes right? I have 3 or 4 of them.

How do you deal with these kind of students that are disruptive and contradict everything the teacher says? It's her second time around in class she should know better and lead by example in my opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment