Thursday, October 6, 2011

Je deteste les tests

I don't like taking tests. I am not a good test taker at all. I rush through things and forget to take my time. I panic a little....guess you could say I have test anxiety.


I am awesome at studying and can help other people achieve good test results with study suggestions but I can not ace tests. I am a B student when it comes to tests. I used to be an A student until nursing school. I have a B average on my tests and I am stunned and shocked.


I suppose I am doing better than say half the class with my B's however I am an A student and that is what I strive for. Someone gave me very good advice, "You may be an A student now but when you get to nursing school expect to be a C student!" He was almost right. The A student in me is still here somewhere but she's not showing her head.

I study the way I teach others how to study, I know the answers I just rush things and I tell myself every exam, "slow down, don't change your answers, take your time..." The pep talks don't seem to be helping much. Time for a new strategy.

Took an exam tonight. I was the first one done (surprising I know) however I don't feel like I rushed through the 61 question test. I read every question twice and all the answers twice. I am in need of test taking advice. I have always had test anxiety but still managed to get A's.

To anyone that is not in nursing school the questions are like nothing I've ever encountered before. The question may have 4 right answers but you need to pick the best one. Kind of subjective but there is always a rationale for the "correct" answer. After each exam we are allowed to look at the answers and see the rationale behind them. I know I missed a few questions, how many? I can't say for sure. I don't want to stress myself out trying to guess the magical score, I'm going to wait until the scores are posted in the next few days.

I am open to any and all suggestions for test taking strategies.

2 comments:

  1. Our nursing school tests are very similar - there are 2-3 right answers but a rationale for the best answer. Nursing is such a grey area. I cover the answers while I read the question, and try to come up with the answer before looking at my options. It keeps me much calmer, and 9 times out of 10, my gut answer is there and very clearly the best one of the bunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled through a couple exams in my first semester. Like you, I was used to being an A student without much effort. Nursing school knocked that out of me real quick! I talked to my professor to get some suggestions...and what she told me really helped. Slow down, read the question completely, underline key information, look at answers and eliminate options that are obviously not correct, look at importance..such as airway and circulation over skin integrity or infection...that kind of thing. I'm doing a lot better this semester..learning how to think the way we're supposed to. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete