Monday, October 24, 2011

Clinicals part tres

I know I've been gone a while for those of you who read my faithfully and noticed. I've been busy studying, taking care of my kids and trying to keep up with housework in between therapy appointments for everyone. Just found out I now have two sons with ADHD and it can be a struggle to remember their medicine regime which is ironic because that's what nurses do.

This past weekend was our third time at clinicals and our last time at this particular nursing home. Next clinical weekend we switch to a different facility with a new instructor.

Saturday morning there were only 6 of us out of the original 10 that was in our group at the beginning of the semester. Our numbers continue to dwindle.

We made haste understanding our new packet of paperwork. Much more intense this time around. We are actually using nursing diagnoses and coming up with a related to to back up our decisions. Thankfully our instructor was wonderful explaining how to fill out our paperwork which gave me confidence.

Here are some highlights of my weekend.

I got to pass out meds (pills) to my patient. Helped with wound care she has a wound that won't go away due to complications from a surgery. I got to do another blood sugar test and give an insulin shot to the patient I had on Sunday. He was by far the easiest patient I've ever had and our instructor did this on purpose. Gave each of us a challenging patient and a fairly easy patient the next day or vice versa. I got to restock a med cart and learned about how locked up narcotics are. Restocked narcs too.

There are so many things I learned this past weekend that I can not possibly put it all down on paper. Finally our clinicals are beginning to make more sense although they are increasingly getting to be more difficult especially the paperwork and the responsibility we have with patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment